Series 1: Part 1
We are going to talk about THE MOST TALKED ABOUT lipsticks- Nude and Neutral lip shades.
Well, you must be thinking by looking at the title- why nude and neutral and not just nude? why Series 1? why Part 1?
I feel nude lip color palette basically speaks about lip shades that are very similar to your natural lip shade and gives you a- My Lips But Better(MLBB) effect. However, many people like to try wide range of lip colors that they can use in daily life and at the same time, they don’t want to draw too much of attention towards their lips. So, neutral lip shade range is more preferred- especially when we are talking about Indian skin tones.
I think my collection is going to keep on increasing, so I don’t want to limit this topic to just once.
Also, I want to talk about a variety of nude and neutral lip colors which will help you better to visualise and select your kind of preferred nude/neutral lip color.
Basically, I have categorised my collection into three Parts:
- Part 1: Pink/Mauve Nude and Neutrals
- Part 2: Peach/Coral Nude and Neutrals
- Part 3: Red/Brown Nude and Neutrals
Let’s begin with first part of our series-
Pink/Mauve Nude and Neutral Lipsticks:
Currently, I have 12 Lipsticks in this category and the list is as follows:
- Wet N Wild Megalast Lip Color- E902C Bare It All
- Colorbar Velvet Matte Lipstick- 58BR Bare
- Maybelline New York Creamy Matte Lipstick- 660 Touch of Spice
- Colorbar Diva Lipstick- 003 Dress To Impress
- Maybelline New York Super Stay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick- 15 Lover
- H&M Cream Lipstick- 004 Redwood
- NY Bae x Shakti Liquid Lipstick- 15 Amaze Aerial
- Wet N Wild Megalast Catsuit Matte Lipstick- E924B Rebel Rose
- Elle 18 Color Pops Matte Lipstick- W12 Mauve Date
- Sugar Nothing Else Matter Longwear Lipstick- 33 Mauve On
- Sugar Smudge Me Not Liquid Lipstick- 15 Blush Rush
- Maybelline New York Creamy Matte Lipstick- 636 Lively Violet
Swatches in different lighting:
As it is evident from above images that each and every shade is wonderful. However there’s one shade that doesn’t work for me- it makes me look quite washed out.
Checkout below discussion to know about each shade more.
- Wet N Wild Megalast Lip Color E902C Bare It All– I am sure you must have realised by looking at the image that this lipstick is not at all for me. This is one of the most talked about shade by Youtubers from US and UK and it’s a dupe for a MAC lipstick as well. It’s a pale pink color with hint of brown undertones. If you are a fair skin person with yellow undertones- this shade will work as a beautiful nude for you(one of my friends has this and it’s a perfect nude for her). However it doesn’t work that much out for a fair-skinned with neutral undertones person like me.(I mix this color with red and brown lipsticks to create some of my favourite shades) I strongly feel that it will not work for medium to deeper skin tones as well.
- Colorbar Velvet Matte Lipstick 58BR Bare– When in doubt, just go for this lipstick. It’s a gorgeous pink neutral color with a hint of coral- brown undertones. It has wonderful velvet matte formula with slight vanilla scent. It easily stays for about 4-5 hours on my lips and leaves a beautiful tint behind. So far I don’t know a person who doesn’t like(actually love) this shade. Many of my friends bought this on my recommendation and they all just love it. I am sure this is going to work out for all skin tones and undertones- this is a UNIVERSALLY flattering lip color. For medium to dusky skin tones, it’s a perfect pink nude lipstick.
- Maybelline New York Creamy Matte Lipstick 660 Touch of Spice– If you are looking for a pinkish mauve with neither too matte nor too creamy formula- just go for this. It easily stays for 5-6 hours on my lips. This color is going to work out for all skin colors irrespective of undertones. Believe me- you are going to love this. (Well, if you don’t know- I am a fan of Maybelline Creamy Matte formula and have over 15 lipsticks from this range)
- Colorbar Diva Lipstick 003 Dress To Impress– This was my first ever mauve lipstick. And really, it was instant love. My friend had this and offered me to try- I was really not sure since at that time I never liked mauve lip shades(I just didn’t- can’t help. But now, I really love mauve colors). This lipstick is a beautiful creamy pinkish mauve and will definitely look gorgeous on all skin tones. I really want to recommend this shade to everyone but unfortunately it’s not easily available(well you are lucky if get this- for me it took almost 1 year to finally lay my hands on it).
- Maybelline New York Super Stay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick 15 Lover– Before this, I really didn’t know that a purplish mauve can look so good on me. From fair to dusky- all skin tones can beautifully flaunt this shade. Bonus is the Maybelline Matte Ink staying power which is more than 12 hours. For office wear, this is one of the best choices out there in mauve lipsticks.
- H&M Cream Lipstick 004 Redwood– This is a very beautiful brown based pink. I really like this shade and it works as a beautiful neutral for me. I feel this shade will flatter all skin tones. But unfortunately I don’t like the formula as it’s extremely creamy. I feel nude lipsticks should neither be extremely matte nor extremely creamy. So I have found a perfect way to balance this lip shade. Check below to know about my work-around.
- NY Bae x Shakti Liquid Lipstick 15 Amaze Aerial– This is a very gorgeous color and just the perfect nude for my skintone. It’ that perfect pink-brown nude which everyone craves. This shade is one shade lighter than H&M Redwood. People from fair to light-medium skin tones will really like this shade. But…but..but..formula is really disappointing. As you can see in pics, it really cracks right after drying. I think it’s particularly this shade as I have Smashing Slam(Red) from this range and it has the best formula. I have seen other people complaining about the formula of this shade as well. Now, what I do to make this and H&M Redwood work is- first I apply one thin layer of Redwood and top it with Amaze Aerial. And…Voila- it just creates the perfect nude with perfect formula for me which stays for 4-5 hours easily.
- Wet N Wild Megalast Catsuit Matte Lipstick E924B Rebel Rose– One more purplish mauve. Definitely a universally flattering color. I have seen this shade on many people with various skin tones and undertones and they all just rock it. If you haven’t tried wet n wild liquid lipsticks, then you definitely should. It’s such an amazing formula- it’s matte but not too drying and doesn’t at all look like someone has sucked life out of you like some matte liquid lipsticks 😀
- Elle 18 Color Pops Matte Lipstick W12 Mauve Date– Well, hello dusky beauties- this is just the perfect neutral shade for you. And price- OMG! just Rs.75. I absolutely love this color. It’s such a perfect deep mauve which will look so good on everyone. From name it should be a matte lipstick however it’s a creamy one but not buttery creamy. I really like this formula and Maybelline’s creamy matte formula for nude and neutral lipsticks- gives your lips a healthy and plump look which just adds glow to your face. Overall I really vouch for this shade and suggest to everyone.
- Sugar Nothing Else Matter Longwear Lipstick 33 Mauve On– It’s such a pretty..pretty deep mauve. It’s one shade deeper than Elle 18 Mauve Date. Well, all Sugar lipsticks don’t fail to impress- but this formula specially has especially captivated me. It feels so soft and comfortable on lips and it transfers very less as well. Coming back to the shade- I recommend this to everyone. It will work as beautiful deep mauve for fair to medium skin tones and an impressive neutral for deep skin beauties.
- Sugar Smudge Me Not Liquid Lipstick 15 Blush Rush– This is a perfect pink-mauve neutral. It gives such a subtle effect and frankly speaking I was just blown away when I first applied it. Fair to Medium skin tone beauties you can wear this lip color to just anywhere and you will rock it. Deep skin ladies, if you are looking for a not-in-the-face light pink, just go for it. Since it has mauve undertones, it will definitely flatter your skin tone.
- Maybelline New York Creamy Matte Lipstick 636 Lively Violet– Again one of my most favourite formulas. This shade is a perfect everyday color for fair skin tone people with warm undertones and people from medium skin tone family. This shade is also on purplish-mauve side. Personally, I feel people with warm undertones enjoy such shades more.
All the shades mentioned above are lovable and work differently for different people.
My Top 3 recommendations are:
- Colorbar Bare
- Maybelline Lover
- Sugar Mauve On
It was really difficult to choose as I love all the colors. But I made this tough decision on the basis of shade range and formula.
Finally, we come to the end of this review. My next post on Peach/Coral Nude and Neutrals will be up soon, so do come back to check later.
Looking forward to your thoughts and feedback. Do let me know by commenting below.
Goodbye till my next post! Happy Life!